ASB is a leading educational institution globally in the use of Information Technology. In our increasingly virtual world, including times of wholly virtual learning and other times of hybrid learning, we understand the importance of technology in enabling innovative teaching and learning practices.
Our technology infrastructure provides extraordinary opportunities to enhance student learning with a variety of technology tools and services, and we continually strive to innovate through technology to help facilitate a world-leading educational platform for our entire community.
Technology also provides a channel for ASB to realize our Vision that ASB learners will be:
- Intrinsically motivated
- Adaptable and resilient
Belief statements that guide us towards realizing our vision:
- Teachers are most effective when they help students learn through interactive rich-media experiences.
- Our lifelong learning model should empower the students to thrive in an increasingly digital world.
- Teachers should help parents connect formal and informal uses of technology. It enables the parents to play a major role in their children's education.
- Every stakeholder of a learning community has the power to become a leader and effect positive change.
- We are a responsible learning community in an evolving digital world. We understand the social, ethical, and legal issues and accordingly model our responsibilities.
In 2021, it is more important than ever to continually innovate with technology, so we can ensure that all teaching modes (virtual synchronous, virtual asynchronous, hybrid, in-person) are delivered in the most engaging and effective way. In our world, technology offers more than just a platform to interact and share information.
Having been a laptop school for 20 years (since 2001), we understand that technology is an extension of our classrooms, and we are constantly adapting to new technologies so that we can continue to foster collaboration, inquiry, creativity, and academic achievement in our students. We know that integrating technology into education helps our students develop critical thinking skills and manage complexity. We embrace new technology, including mobile devices, wearable technologies, and innovations such as 3D printers.
Our Remarkable Educators empower students to act safely, participate ethically and think critically in their digital lives. Our curriculum integrates digital life practices throughout the grade levels. We address cyber-bullying, website accuracy evaluation, sources citation, and safe online behavior. We apply age-appropriate contexts to help students practice learning in real life. ASB has a Responsible Use Policy across all School divisions.
Technology Infrastructure and Support
Information Technology should promote active learning and allow teachers to share information efficiently with students, it should make managing tasks more effective for administrators, and it should empower timely communications between students, teachers, administrators, and parents. Keeping these objectives in mind, the infrastructure setup at ASB includes:
- High-speed Network: Uses a 1 Gbps LAN. Covers all instructional spaces, administration office, library, and other infrastructure
- Next-Generation Firewall and Servers: Our campuses are protected by the latest Next-Generation firewalls and a dedicated hybrid cluster/farm of servers that runs the entire network
- Tablets/Laptops: Over 500 student and staff tablets and laptops installed across the school
- Wireless Access: The 802.11 /ac/ax wireless access standard ensures superior performance, reliability, and predictability. The modernized network offers up to six times more performance than legacy 802.11a/b/g networks. It supports total mobility of multimedia and learning-critical applications
- Internet: Two high-speed 100 Mbps Fiber links for the internet. The elementary school and the secondary school connect through two dedicated 100 Mbps links. Two different ISPs provide these point-to-point links.
- User Policies: Responsible Use and Network Use Policies provide students and staff with the guidelines for the use of technology systems in the school.
Technical Support Services
Dedicated technical support personnel are available during the school's working hours to provide technical support services. We pride ourselves on the responsiveness and efficiency of our technical support.
- Learning Management Systems: Learning management is all managed in the cloud to ensure students and teachers can access their content from anywhere in the world. We use PowerSchool for Middle & High School, and SeeSaw for Elementary as our primary LMS platforms. We combine our LMS systems with a variety of software such as MS Office and Google Suite.
- Educational Software: ASB uses a growing collection of educational software to facilitate the integration of technology in all subjects at the school.
- Online Classrooms: Our online classes are managed through Zoom, which allows for instruction, breakout rooms, and collaboration.
- Student Management System: We use Veracross, a web-based integrated student information and management system for student admissions, student attendance, student reporting, and preparing middle and high school course schedules
- Library Management System: Destiny provides ASB’s library automation services encompassing cataloguing, circulation, inventory, and public access catalogue capabilities. The database allows us to track patrons, titles, usage data, and collection development in order to optimize our services for students, teachers, and families.
- Games and Gamification: Scientific studies are pointing to the impact of games on motivation and learning. A number of ASB teachers are incorporating gamification into their teaching.
Bring Your Own Device
ASB has a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policy for students from Grades 4 to 12.
For more information, please review our BYOD Guide.