Our overarching guiding principles for virtual, and now hybrid, learning are anchored in our Vision, Mission & Core Values.
The COVID-19 pandemic meant an immediate switch from in-person instruction to virtual classrooms, overnight. From March 2020 until January 2021 ASB effectively operated two cohorts, one for students and families in the Pacific / Asia / India & Europe, and the other in the Americas. Our faculty utilized their strengths in their relationships with their students and with each other to create a world-leading virtual learning platform, which engaged students and created a deep sense of trust with our parents and families.
The Virtual & Hybrid Model
Our virtual and hybrid model focuses on:
- Our commitment to highly relevant and individualized learning.
- Strong partnerships with our parents and students.
- Developing routines and maintaining a sense of community through activities and interactions Beyond the Classroom.
- Social and emotional wellbeing for all in our community.
- Offering a synchronous and asynchronous learning environment until at least the end of the 2020-21 academic year.
- Allowing students to participate as ASB learners no matter where they are in the world, even if they are not online at the same time, every day.
Accommodating for Students Internationally
Our strong foundation in technology meant we could quickly transition to a solely virtual mode of learning, accommodating our entire community, no matter their location or time zone.
Our approach was simple: ensure every student received the same level of instruction and collaboration. This involved creating both synchronous and asynchronous learning models and setting up two distinct cohorts – one for India, Asia-Pacific & Europe, and one for the Americas.
Since March 2020, we have been continually reviewing and revising our approach to virtual learning. Through an ongoing process of action, reflection, and refinement, along with community consultation, we have adapted and evolved our teaching and learning practices to meet the changing needs of our community.